NISKAYUNA The entire Town of Niskayuna is under a boil water order following a 20-inch water main break resulting in a loss of water pressure throughout portions of the system.
The Schenectady County Department of Environmental Health issued the boil water advisory Friday, Jan. 11, morning as a precautionary measure. All water must be boiled for drinking or culinary purposes. Boiling kills most bacteria and other organisms in the water.
The order will remain in effect until further notification from county officials, but it is expected to be lifted by Monday, Jan. 14, pending satisfactory sampling results.
The official orders are as follows, with some specific to public establishments:
- Post signs at all sink and water sources reading, "Warning, Do Not Drink This Water". Turn off all drinking fountains until the Order is lifted.
- Empty and disinfect all ice making machines and discontinue use until the Order is lifted. Ice used must be obtained from an approved commercially bagged source.
- Any water used for drinking must be from an approved source or if water from your supply is served, it must have been heated to a rolling boil and held for at least three minutes.
- Any beverages made with water, such as reconstituted juices, powdered milk, iced tea, post mixed carbonated sodas, must be made with water that is bottled from an approved source or boiled. In most cases, machines that automatically mix water drink concentrate do not permit the changing of source or boiling. As such, these machines must be turned off.
- Water used for all culinary purposes, such as washing food, washing equipment, as a food ingredient, etc., must be bottled from an approved source or be boiled.
- Whenever possible, single service paper or plastic utensils should be used in food preparation and for service of food including bar glasses. Any multi-use utensils used can be washed where a commercial dishwasher or three-compartment sink method of washing is used and there is at least a level of 50 ppm of free chlorine in the sanitizing sink. Other alternatives may be accepted on a case by case basis with prior approval.
Check back to spotlightnews.com for more information on this story as it develops.